Tuesday 1 July 2014

Book Review: Book Clubbed by Lorna Barrett

In the 8th mystery in the Booktown Mysteries Lorna Barrett takes readers on a new suspenseful adventure. It’s winter and all is quiet in “Booktown” Stoneham, New Hampshire. However, with Tricia’s sister, Angelica, running two businesses and being newly-appointed President of the Chamber of Commerce her life is anything but dull. Particularly since her Chamber of Commerce receptionist, Betsy Dittmeyer, likes to stir things up by constantly reading everyone the riot act and causing trouble. When Betsy is found dead, crushed under a bookcase, Angelica and Tricia are sad but not surprised. However there was more to Betsy than met the eye, and Tricia is intrigued enough to investigate and see if she can hunt down a killer!

The Booktown Mysteries were one of the first modern cozy mysteries series I ever discovered. Each year I settle in to enjoy the latest offering and every time I’m not disappointed. With the release of Book Clubbed, Lorna Barrett has kept up this wonderful tradition of keeping me thoroughly entertained.

From the first book, Murder is Binding, to this book I’ve enjoyed watching Tricia adapt to life in Stoneham. Her life has had many ups and downs, especially in her romantic life. Her ex-husband, Christopher, has now taken up residence in town and she’s no longer dating Police Chief, Grant Baker. She seems to be enjoying life on her own. Just her and her darling cat, Miss Marple. However there is one relationship in her life that is blossoming and that is the one between Tricia and her older sister, Angelica. When we were first introduced to Angelica I wasn’t sure about her. She seemed to rub Tricia up the wrong way and they didn’t get along at all. I’ve really enjoyed watching the two get closer, and in Book Clubbed they share some wonderful, close moments. Anyone with a sister or a brother in their life that is also their best friend, will appreciate the direction that Lorna Barrett has taken these wonderful sisters. It is heart warming and beautiful, and I’m so glad that Angelica is not just a part of Booktown, but a big part of Tricia’s life too.

Lorna Barrett never fails to offer a suspenseful cozy mystery. The mystery certainly kept me on my toes and right up to the denouement I was holding my breath, waiting to see how it would all my play out.

Fans of this series will rejoice at another wonderful instalment in their favourite cozy mystery series. Lorna Barrett provides a entertaining, highly enjoyable new mystery for readers to solve, and I can’t recommend Book Clubbed enough. If you haven’t read this series yet I recommend picking up Murder is Binding and beginning what will quickly become one of your favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment