Saturday 30 January 2016

Death in the Old Rectory by Kathie Deviny


Death in the Old Rectory

For many years Father Robert has called the old rectory at Seattle's Grace Church home. No longer. An enterprising volunteer has come up with a scheme to convert it into a thrift store. With great reluctance, the priest moves to a condo, realizing that the struggling Episcopal parish needs the revenue. As predicted, money is soon rolling in. That is, until disaster strikes: one of the employees, a charismatic young man named Nick, is killed execution-style. Though well loved, Nick had a criminal past. Did his past catch up with him, or was he simply in the wrong place at the wrong time? Detective Joyce Hitchcock and Officer Raymond Chen are on the case, and once again their efforts are bolstered by the colorful staff and members of Grace Church-Father Robert himself, his fiancee Molly, Deacon Mary, manager of the food bank Terry, Lester the formerly homeless sexton, Daniel the organist, Arlis the church secretary, and senior volunteers Lucy and Mae. Other incidents follow-an explosion, vandalism. The already dwindling congregation is being scared away, and Grace Church may soon be history. Meanwhile Nick's friends and colleagues can't help but wonder: will the killer strike again?   (Summary via Goodreads)

What a great cast of characters in Death in the Old Rectory !!  Death in the Old Rectory is the second book in the Grace Church Mystery series by Kathie Deviny.  I haven't read the first book but I know I will and hopefully soon.  

Death in the Old Rectory takes place in the church setting with the church and the rectory next door where Father Robert resides just like I remember when I was growing up.   Even though it is set in a busy section of Seattle, it still feels like its my old church in the country.  And the people in the story, from Father Robert all the way down to Spike the dog, you feel like you know them. (even without reading Death in the Memorial Garden)  

I specifically fell in love with Nick, you will see why when you read the book, but he seemed like the glue between the thrift store, the food pantry and the church plus all the people.  I was devastated when he was murdered and even though I had to step away for a bit to collect myself, I went right back to the story.  I was on a mission !!  I was right along side Father Robert, Terry, Mae, Mrs. Evans and the rest of them trying to figure out who the murderer was.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, religious or otherwise.   I also suggest picking up the first book, Death in the Memorial Garden, and put the third one on your to read list.  I know its on mine !!!

Review by Missi S.



No comments:

Post a Comment