Friday 8 January 2021

A Perfect Storm (Sgt. Windflower Mysteries #9) by Mike Martin

Sgt. Windflower is back, untangling another swirling mystery, this one bringing the meth crisis and biker gangs to the quiet Newfoundland town of Grand Bank, feeling the sting of their deadly tentacles reaching all the way from the United States. He’s working with his familiar crew of RCMP characters — but wait, are some of the faces changing? There are new challenges for Jones, an unknown side of Smithson reveals itself, and what ever happened to Tizzard? In the midst of putting the pieces of the puzzle together, Windflower and his beloved Sheila also find themselves navigating sorrows and surprises on the family front. As always, there’s still great food and even better friends in the beautiful and often fog-filled community of Grand Bank. Come back to Newfoundland and Labrador for A Perfect Storm, another excellent Windflower adventure.   (Summary via Goodreads)


I am a huge fan of Mike Martin and his Sgt. Windflower Mystery series.  I have read all of the books in this series, to date, and while I was in the middle of reading A Perfect Storm, the ninth book, I actually had to reach out to the author.  Before I could read any more I had to know if this was the last book in this series.  When you are as invested in a series as I am with this particular one, you develop feelings....and I had a terrible feeling that I was reading the last of the Windflower's story.  A Perfect Storm just had that kind of feeling to me....and if it was the last, I needed to get the right mindset to continue.  And I cannot tell you how overjoyed I was when Martin responded with the news that there would be at least 2 more books coming in 2021 !!!

In A Perfect Storm readers are hanging out with an awesome family, Sgt. Winston Windflower, his wife Sheila who is also the Mayor and their adorable daughter, Amelia Louise in their quaint little town of Grand Bank in Canada.  Windflower works for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and he has a great staff and they all come together to protect and serve their town.  Sheila is the Mayor of Grand Bank but she is getting near the end of her term and she has chosen to not continue in the political field.  Windflower has also been struggling with if he wants to stay where he is professionally.  

A Perfect Storm has a lot going on with Windflower and Sheila in their personal and professional lives and some things make it seem like the author is writing in a way to end things on more clearer terms....but luckily he is just setting the stage for the next chapter in their lives.  

A Perfect Storm addresses big crimes in Grand Banks and the surrounding areas.  Drugs, gangs and death are a big storyline in this book but luckily everything gets sorted out and all the bad people end up where they should.  There are also a lot of changes happening at the detachment, most of them good but maybe one will be hard for readers to handle at first.  And readers will be forced to deal with a few big changes in Windflower's life, and one will be very hard for readers to accept. ( I am still having a hard time with it. )

A Perfect Storm is probably the most emotional book so far in this series for readers who have read all the previous books and who have grown to love and respect the characters.  I, for one, truly love Eddie Tizzard !!  I cannot get enough of this character.  I love all the storylines surrounding him and look forward to where the story takes him.  Also there are a lot of things with Windflower and Sheila that I am looking forward to in their storylines and Martin hints at a few BIG ones at the end of this book.....leaving readers in the best way possible....WANTING MORE !!!  And I am so happy to know that there will be more to come for the Sgt. Windflower Mystery series !!!  I am NOT done with these books.....I feel like they are my family and I love when I can escape to Grand Bank, or wherever they are, and visit for a while.


Review by Missi M.




No comments:

Post a Comment